Past accelerators

CERN Neutrinos to Gran Sasso

To unravel some of the mysteries surrounding neutrinos, CERN sends a beam through 732 kilometres of solid rock to the CNGS project in Italy

Linear accelerator 1

Designed in the 1950s as injector for the Proton Synchrotron, LINAC 1 was the only supplier of protons to the CERN synchrotrons until 1978

The Intersecting Storage Rings

The Intersecting Storage Rings is a former particle accelerator at CERN. It was the world's first hadron collider

The Large Electron-Positron Collider

LEP – the largest electron-positron accelerator ever built – was dismantled in 2000. Its 27-kilometre tunnel now hosts the LHC

The Low Energy Antiproton Ring

LEAR decelerated and stored antimatter from 1982 until 1996, when it was replaced by the Low Energy Ion Ring

The Synchrocyclotron

The 600 MeV Synchrocyclotron, built in 1957, was CERN’s first accelerator