Publishers and information providers are progressively strengthening authentication on their servers by introducing secure http. And as you have noticed, the current system doesn’t work anymore for some resources such as APS Journals. There is therefore a new authentication procedure to access online resources made available by the Library from outside CERN. As a consequence, from now on, URLs of online resources (=articles, ebooks, databases) made available by the Library must, for remote access, be prefixed by: https://ezproxy.cern.ch/login?url=
URLs of resources listed on the CERN Document Server <https://cds.cern.ch> or on the Library web site <http://library.cern> are currently being modified to make sure the prefix is automatically added.
If you access the online resources listed above directly from a Google search or any other web site, you must add to the url of the resource the prefix: https://ezproxy.cern.ch/login?url=
As an example, to access this article: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0168900217310045. You need to modify the url as follows: https://ezproxy.cern.ch/login?url=https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0168900217310045
Please note that:
- Inside CERN, the access works as usual.
- This service works for CERN Computer account only.
- The access will only work if the CERN Library has a subscription to the resource. Please check the availability on the CERN document server or on the Library resources webpage
- No authentification is needed for Open Access resources
- The current Proxy system remains active for the time being, but is not maintained anymore.