Migration to Windows 10 is required during 2019 as Microsoft will end support for Windows 7 in January 2020.
Windows 7 was released in July 2009 and is now obsolete. It does not enable you to benefit from recent hardware and security features that are only available in Windows 10.
Windows 10 is already available for deployment at CERN. A migration campaign is starting and all computers with Windows 7 operating system will be targeted for an upgrade over the course of the year. You will receive a notification prior to the upgrade and will have the possibility to manually launch the upgrade at a time of your convenience during the three weeks before it is actually forced.
What is needed for this upgrade and what will happen?
For machines upgrading from a 64-bit version of Windows 7:
- You need 25 GB of free space on your hard disk
- The upgrade requires multiple reboots and usually takes between 45 and 60 minutes
- During migration, the machine can´t be used
- Documents, programs and settings will be preserved
- In case the upgrade process fails the machine will be rolled back to Windows 7 and you will need to perform the Windows 10 installation manually (https://espace.cern.ch/winservices-help/NICEEnvironment/NICEInstallation/Pages/InstallationOfWindowsAtCERN.aspx)
- Internet Explorer is no longer installed by default. You can find it as a CMF package
- If you are ready to upgrade already now:
- Select the package “MS Windows 10 – upgrade b1809” on https://cmf.web.cern.ch/cmf/ComputerFramework/AddRemove.aspx
- Launch the upgrade process by clicking on the CMF icon at the bottom right of your screen and selecting ‘Start Now’ in CMF Pending actions
For machines with a 32-bit version of Windows 7 or with less than 25 GB of free space on the hard disk:
- The upgrade procedure won’t work, instead you need a full reinstallation
- You need to manually install Windows 10 from scratch (https://espace.cern.ch/winservices-help/NICEEnvironment/NICEInstallation/Pages/InstallationOfWindowsAtCERN.aspx)
If you use critical applications not installed through CMF, or if you configured dual-boot with another operating system, please check compatibility with Windows 10 with the software vendor. In case of known compatibility issues with Windows 10 or professional constraints requiring to postpone the upgrade, please contact us: email@example.com.