CERN issued its Open Access Policy in October 2014, requiring all CERN physics results to be published Open Access. This policy has now been expanded to include instrumentation articles.
The policy favors publications in journals supported by SCOAP3 which facilitates Open Access of HEP articles at no costs for authors. As SCOAP3 does not support instrumentation journals, the Scientific Information Service has put in place arrangements for the following journals:
- IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science (and other IEEE journals)
- Journal of Instrumentation
- Nuclear Instruments and Methods Section A and Section B.
CERN authors are encouraged to also explore the following new Open Access instrumentation journals:
- EPJ Techniques and Instrumentation, is a “sister title” of the well-established physics journal EPJC and was established in 2014. More information can be found here.
- Instruments was launched in 2016 by the Basel-based publisher MDPI. The Editor-in-Chief is Prof. Dr. Antonio Ereditato, well known to most CERN physicists.
CERN affiliated authors submitting instrumentation papers need to ensure that the papers will be published Open Access and that corresponding costs are covered by one of the above-mentioned arrangements.
If you wish to publish in any other outlet or for further questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.