To celebrate the International Girls in ICT Day (ICT = information and communication technologies), CERN’s Women in Technology (WIT) community, its Visitors and Events Operations team and the MicroClub are organising another edition of Django Girls.
The Django Girls workshop offers a crash course in computer programming for beginners aged 15 and over. The aim is to introduce digital technologies to the uninitiated, especially women, who are underrepresented in this field. In a supportive and positive environment, the participants will be coached by the CERN tutors in how to create a blog and launch it online. The event will take place in person, in French and English, at IdeaSquare.
Django Girls is a huge success every year. In 2022, despite the workshop taking place entirely online, it attracted some 50 participants, who learned how to code, guided in small groups by their CERN mentors. This year again we’re looking for volunteer coaches to lead the workshop. Each volunteer will coach a team of three participants. So join the adventure and sign up now!
- Friday, 21 April 2023, 6.00–7.45 p.m.: Launch party
- Saturday, 22 April 2023, 9.00 a.m.– 5.00 p.m.: Workshop
Eligibility criteria for coaches:
- You must have a CERN contract (MPE, MPA, official guide, external contractors’ personnel (ECP) or temporary worker (TEMC)) and be aged 18 or over.
- You should be interested in programming: as a coach, you will need to explain the basics of the internet and present Python, object-oriented programming, HTML and CSS. Advanced knowledge is not required; the most important thing is to be able to explain programming clearly to people who have no technical knowledge.
- You must be available for the launch party (evening of 21 April) and for the duration of the workshop (all day on 22 April).
- Good mastery of spoken English and/or French is required (at least B2 level).
- You must attend one general information session and one training session on Django Girls tutoring.
Meals: Lunch will be provided on the Saturday.
If more volunteers sign up than we need, priority will be given to women and ICT specialists.
Complete the registration form and spread the word.
Registration deadline: 26 March 2023 (11.59 p.m.)
Thank you for volunteering!