To celebrate the International Girls in ICT Day (ICT = information and communication technologies), CERN’s Women in Technology (WIT) community, Visitors and Events Operations section and Microclub are organising another 100% virtual edition of Django Girls.
This programming workshop for girls and women aged 15 and over will take place on the evening of Thursday, 28 April 2022 and all day on Saturday, 30 April 2022. With coaching by CERN tutors, the participants will learn how to create a blog and launch it online. Django Girls will be held on Zoom, in English and French. It’s designed for beginners, with the aim of introducing the uninitiated to digital technologies, especially women, who are underrepresented in this field.
The first online edition of Django Girls, in 2021, was a resounding success. Some 50 participants learned how to code, guided in small groups by their CERN mentors.
This year again we’re looking for volunteer coaches to lead the workshop. Each volunteer will coach a team of three participants. So join the adventure and register now!
- Thursday, 28 April 2022, 6.00 p.m.–7.45 p.m.: Launch party
- Saturday, 30 April 2022, 9.00 a.m.– 4.15 p.m.: Workshop
- Programming level: As a coach, you will need to explain the basics of the internet and present Python, object-oriented programming, HTML and CSS. You don’t need to have advanced knowledge; the most important thing is to be able to explain programming clearly to people with no technical knowledge.
- Equipment required: Computer, webcam, microphone and a stable internet connection.
- Schedule: You must be available for the launch party and for the duration of the workshop.
- Language: English or French.
- Reward: You will receive a Django Girls mug to brighten up the virtual coffee breaks.
- Information sessions: You must attend a general information session and another session to follow the Django Girls tutorial.
If more volunteers sign up then we need, priority will be given to women and ICT specialists.
Complete the registration form and spread the word!
Registration deadline: 21 March 2022 (11.59 p.m.)
Thank you for volunteering!