As always, just like the emergency and fire service (+41 22 76) 74444, the security service remains operational every day of the week at all times of the day and can be reached at (+41 22 76) 78878.
However, the services provided by the SMB department requiring human presence (such as the CERN hotel, the car sharing service, the shuttle service, etc.) will not be operational during the end of the year closure.
Services that do not depend on a continuous human presence will remain available, though offering a reduced level of support during this period. In general, the response time for regular issues will be half a day (not guaranteed), but in case of serious failure, the reaction time will depend on the arrangements that have been made with the supported services.
Please also note that the heating on the Meyrin and Prévessin sites will be switched to a low-heat mode. This reduced level will lead to a slight drop in temperature, in order to maximise energy savings during this period of low occupancy.
Most of the services provided by the IT department - including WLCG production services - will remain available during the CERN annual closure. No interruptions are scheduled but in case of failure, the restoration of services cannot be guaranteed.
Problems will be dealt with on a best-effort basis only and the availability of specific services might be limited by the availability of other services.
Please note that:
- All network and telecom services will run as usual, field technicians will act upon failures on the infrastructure, but changes requiring human intervention will not be possible.
- Incidents will be listed on the CERN Service Status Board for Computing.
- With the exception of 24 & 25 December and 31 December & 1 January best-effort support can be expected for the following services: activation of accounts, AFS, CASTOR, CDS, CERN Grid, CERN Tape Archive, CERNBox, Cloud Infrastructure, CodiMD, Configuration Management, CRIC (production dependency for ATLAS & CMS), CVMFS, Data integration and reporting / Pentaho, Databases, DFS, Discourse, DNS Load Balancing, Drupal, Elastic Search, E-mail, EOS, FTS, HADOOP, Indico, Inspire, Java web hosting, JIRA, Linux, Linux Software Building, lxbatch, lxplus, Mattermost, Monitoring, Multimedia, Network & Telecoms, Newdle, Open Data Repository, OpenShift, Oracle web hosting (Apex), REANA, resetting passwords, room booking system, S3, Sentry, ServiceNow, SharePoint, Skype for Business, Streaming Data, TWiki, Version Control Systems (GitLab), Vidyo, Web, Windows, Windows Terminal Services, WLCG Accounting, Zenodo Repository and Zoom.
- The backup service will remain operational, but backups cannot be guaranteed and file restores may not be possible.
- For CASTOR & CERN Tape Archive services, problematic tapes will be handled after the CERN annual closure.
The operator service will be available and can be reached at (+41 22 76) 75011 or by email to email@example.com, where urgent problems may be reported.
Potential computer security incidents must be reported to Computer.Security@cern.ch or (+41 22 76) 70500 as usual.
Please remember to shut down and power off any equipment in your office that is not required during the annual closure.