A new version of the MapCERN application is now available for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.
MapCERN is a navigation tool for CERN sites. It shows the location of streets, buildings, rooms, and points of interest at CERN. The new app, developed by the Geneva-based company ArxIT, is part of an initiative by GS department to allow staff, fellows, users and visitors to locate CERN facilities with a smartphone. As well as locations at CERN, the app shows their distance and general direction from the user. Every day, the Patrimony and Site Information Service (GS/SE-DOP) updates the map data with topographic measurements.
With the iPhone and iPad version of MapCERN - which requires iOS5 or later - you can:
- Interact with maps
- Search for buildings, rooms, streets or points of interest
- Sort results by name (A-Z), type of data (Group) or distance
- Choose which data type (layer or basemap) to display
- Display information through legends or tooltips on the map
- Pinpoint your location with GPS
- Identify buildings in front of you with Augmented Reality view
A second application, MapCERN Mobile is specially designed for smartphones.
For a demonstration video, download MapCERN for iPhone.